Monday 12 December 2011

Act 4, Interview Questions

Dear Diary,
Nurse has been sent away, and I am alone in my room. My only companion is a small glass vial, which contains a special medicine that I received from dear Friar Laurence not too long ago. He has assured me that upon taking the drug, I will only appear dead. I will, instead, be in a state of deep sleep while the drug does its job: robbing my skin of its healthy glow and replacing it with a deathly pallor, quieting the beating of my heart so that not even the most attentive of ears could hear it, and slowing the whisper of air in my lungs to mask the rise and fall of my chest when I breathe. I trust the good Friar’s word, yet I am still hesitant to drink the vial’s contents. It sits there, clear liquid that I could mistake for water if I did not know that it was something more sinister.
I have in no way lost my resolve, but there is one last thing I must do before I “die.” Before I bade her goodnight, my Nurse placed an envelope in my hands. The letter inside was addressed to me from the Verona Press, one of the many newsmongers in our fair city. It was a list of questions posed to me and I feel that it is my duty to answer these questions here, and mayhaps, one day, my parents will find them and understand.
Question 1: Juliet, speculate as to what could happen to fair Verona and her citizens if the feud between your family and the Montagues persists. 
            I was not gifted with the ability to foretell the future. However, I think it is safe to say that the continuation of this feud can only lead to devastation and destruction. How many more must suffer? Must be injured or maimed? Must be killed? As long as the feud remains, peace will not find a home in Verona. I fear that if things continue as they are now, the very foundation of this city will be shaken, if it does not crumble to dust.
Question 2: Recall how you felt when Cupid first struck you with an arrow of love for Romeo.
          It was like being set afire by the sinful flames of Hades, burned through to my very core so that nothing was left of me but ashes. Then, like a phoenix I was reborn again, except I was more alive than I had ever been before. That fire continued to rage inside, to consume me—but I welcomed it, treasured it, and coaxed it into a blazing inferno.
Question 3: After your wedding, what did you believe your life would be like at Romeo’s side as his wife? Did you truly believe that your relationship could flourish without hardships? Describe your thoughts about how possible it was for the two of you to be together.
          I am an optimist. Foolishly, I imagined a happy life for the two of us. I believed that we would be able to overcome any hardships that came our way. I now find myself in dark times, even though I am so recently wed. Yet, I still believe that we will come out of this okay. Star-crossed lovers we may be, but these two stars will find each other once again. We have hope, trustworthy friends, and a plan. I will not pretend that it won’t be difficult, but I do not believe that a silly feud between families will be enough to tear such a strong love apart.
Question 4: During your final night at Romeo’s side what fears were running through your mind? What kind of a future did you envision without Romeo in it?
            I feared for many things that night. The future seemed bleak and empty, as if our love were a wagon wheel caught in the mud, destined never to be free again. I feared for Romeo’s life, knowing that his mere presence in Verona was a death sentence. At the same time, I did not wish for him to leave, for I feared that we would never meet again. The far-off horizon that once seemed so full of promise and joy had become a sky of harsh gray, full of angry storm clouds that bode no well.
Question 5: What did you feel when Paris addressed you on the matter of your upcoming marriage? How did you plan to deal with this new problem?
          The dominant emotions running through me at the time were fear and distress. I felt like I was falling into an endless black abyss, and there was no one to pull me back out. There I was, already married, with a second marriage on the way. What a dishonor it would be for me to marry again; what a betrayal to my husband. But at the same time, were I to reveal the details of my first marriage, my beloved husband would be at risk. The only option I could see was death. The Friar gave me an alternative: I would fake my death. You may be wondering, why did I accept this plan so easily and without objection? It was only in desperation that I originally planned to kill myself. A second option—no matter the risks—was worth it, if only I could see Romeo again. 
Question 6: Put yourself in the moment when you are about to drink the drug that will make you appear dead. How do you feel? What thoughts are running rampant through your mind? Do you believe that this is the absolute best decision you could make?
           This is perhaps the easiest question for me to answer, as I am in fact in that moment right now. How do I feel? Well, that’s simple: I am afraid. So many things could go wrong and nothing is certain to the point that all I have to rely on is trust and hope. These two things exist without a corporal body; I can rely on them as I can rely on the ever-changing moon. My thoughts are a mess; never did I think that I could be so pessimistic. What if awake alone? Or never wake at all? Yet still, I know that this is the best course of action for my love and I. I was forced to choose between marrying Paris, death, and this plan that the Friar has concocted. This is the best decision. I can’t go back now. 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  
It is time. I must drink the Friar’s potion. With luck on my side I will return to write more. For now, I must say farewell as I lift the vial to my lips.
                    Sincerely,
                                   Juliet
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 
            Oh, that taste was strange! Were I to compare it to any other flavor, I could not think of a name. I feel faint, the room is spinning and objects are blurring into mere colours. What is this ringing in my ears? Is that my name, calling to me from sweet lips? Romeo? My love, is that you? Please be there when I awake my husband, my dearest! A wicked darkness is creeping into the edges of my vision. Romeo, my sweet….
             

1 comment:

  1. Juliet, yours truly is a story of woe. I wish you and Romeo the best of luck and I hope your plan makes fruition. I also agree with your points on what may happen to our fair city if peace is not found. I fear at this point only something drastic could halt the ancient quarrel between our two families.

    ReplyDelete